Friday, October 20, 2006

A Plea By A Gentle Giant.....

Hi, I am a gentle giant currently swimming in the BIG BIG Ocean on this Blue Planet that we shared as home. Recently, I overheard the news about the intention of building the world’s LARGEST aquarium by one of the Integrated Resort bidders on an island called Sentosa in Singapore. And to which, it will house some of my species to allow human beings to snorkel and dive with.

Now, that I fear. I feared that I would be the one being captured and force to live in that glass tank the size many million times smaller than the Ocean that I am now in. I feared that I would not get any more chance to savor my favourite and delicious planktons from the Indian Ocean, which I am currently making my way there.

You think this is “Uniquely Singapore” for it will be the LARGEST aquarium in the world. Oh, please hear me out; I don’t think this is anyway unique for there are already in some countries, having similar glass tanks, housing some of my long lost relatives. So what it will be the world’s LARGEST? Don’t you see that the world’s TALLEST building gets replaced every other year? So, you can foresee that it may get replace by another world’s LARGEST aquarium in the near future as human beings will not stop at what they have already achieved. This means that sadly, more relatives of mine will be captured if this kind of competition does not STOP.

You said that by housing some of my species helps in the efforts of conservation, educate the young human beings about our plight in the wild and generates money that goes into researches that help human beings understand us better. May I ask what’s there about conservation when our life span is being cut short because we are not used to living in such cramped space? Then what? Getting more of us to fill the shoes of the dead relatives?

Perhaps, have other things instead of an aquarium to attract the crowds. Make it truly “Uniquely Singapore”. I bet your human’s mind could come out with something more creative than a glass of water right? And of course, if you truly care about the conservation and education on us, you could invest in good publicity by sponsoring NGOs who are educating your young ones about protecting the ocean (thing likes not creating marine rubbishes and how), my home.

Nothing has been carved into the stone yet. So please reconsider the idea of having us swimming in that glass tank.


Yours truly,

W.S.
--------------
A Whale Shark Who Wants To Be Swimming FREELY In The BIG BIG Ocean And NOT Some Glass Tank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home