Saturday, October 13, 2007

ReefFriends @ Pulau Jong.....

My previous trips to Pulau Jong were with Wildfilms during low tides to explore the intertidal area. Today, it was something different. I was diving at Pulau Jong with ReefFriends. This is my second Reef Check OJT (On-Job-Training).


The vis was a comfortable 2-3m at around 6m depth.


I was assigned to do the mobile invertebrates survey at the deeper transect. My buddy was Gina who was doing the fish survey. This will be Gina's last reef check with ReefFriends before she flies off to the United States of A for her work posting and will only be back in 2009. We are going to miss her!

We started off in slight current but it eventually picked up towards the last two transects. I had to fight against the currents to get back to the start of the transect so that I can follow the buoy line to ascend. However, I was drifted far off from the boat and together with two other volunteers, we had to be picked up by the boat. The strong current was also the reason that Gina and I did only one dive today as we decided to abort the 2nd dive. Here's a pic to show how far some of us had drifted away from the boat due to the strong currents. Can you spot two divers in the pic?


Anyway, here's some pics that I managed to shoot at the deeper transect;


Crinoid(Featherstar) hiding under crevice.


Talking about star, here's another kind. It's a Cushion Star. And I counted two for the transect.

Only managed to count two Flatworms today and here's one of them.


and of course, a mobile invertebrates survey will definitely consist of Nudibranch.

Lots of Blue Dragon Nudibranch(Pteraeolidia ianthina) and here's some other nudibranch spotted.




Managed to spot two sap-sucking sea slugs too! Here's one;


So there you are, the pics from today dive. And I am looking forwards to the next reef survey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home